Birth Story

Richard Hollis Simon

December 10, 2010

7 lbs 15 oz. / 21 inches

6:19 AM

Sorry, it has been a long time, but I have been very busy. Almost a month and half a go my baby boy was born and do I have a story for you. I had the best delivery in the world!!

My Birth Story:

On December 9th I had lower back pain all day, but didn’t think to much of it and went to work and out to dinner. Later that night I must have had a hunch because I put a towel in bed to lay on in case my water broke. Well at about 4 AMI got out of bed and Sam asked, “are you ok?” I told him “I think my water broke, but don’t worry and go back to bed.” I went down stairs so he could sleep. Hearing that news he could not sleep and he immediately came down as I was ready to go up and hop in the shower to see if that would help. Sam got dressed and got out a notebook to start recording my contractions. I knew I was in labor, but didn’t think I was that far into it. I told everyone that I was afraid I would not know when I was in labor and they told me I would know.

I could not tell Sam when exactly the contractions would start and end. This is when I was supposedly mean and cursing at him, but I have no recollection of that.  It was painful, but not unbearable. I got out of the shower and grabbed 2 towels and yelled at Sam to dry me. He told me to get dressed so we could go to the hospital. I didn’t want to go because I was afraid I would get there and they would tell me I was only 1cm dilated and to go home. I did not want to be sent home. Finally, after a long time and Sam telling me to get dressed for a while we finally headed to the hospital. I could not sit in the car and did not know how I was going to make it. So I climbed in and faced the back of the car on my knees and hugged the seat. Once we got to the hospital which luckily is only about a 5-10 minute drive away. I got out of the car and walked into the hospital and Sam went ahead of me to get someone. It must have been a funny sight me trying to walk normally and Sam holding 2 pillows, a blanket, my purse, my bag, and his huge camera bag. We were moving in!

The front desk guy who seemed to young to be helping me tried to get me into a wheel chair and with all my lower back pain I told him I was not sitting. He said this is the fastest way I can get you there so I leaped into the chair. We got onto the elevator and he told us he had to stay at the front desk and he hit the number 3 button and the doors closed.  The only person who had helped since arriving to the hospital had just closed the door on me and we were alone. That was a sad moment for some reason.  I sat in the wheelchair and when the doors opened I wheeled myself out because Sam’s hands were full. I walked into the maternity section and left the wheelchair in the hall. You do things without caring. Usually I put everything back and feel sorry if I don’t. Today I did not care. So when I walked in I was holding onto the wall and three nurses were just standing there looking at me. They didn’t say anything and I was like well were do I go. They told me I shouldn’t come in crying and I told them loudly and firmly that I WAS NOT CRYING! So I went into a room and got into a gown and noticed I was bleeding. At that time I didn’t know that was normal and began to freak out. They told me to lay down on the bed until they come back and I thought there is no way I can lay down. I stood and waited for all the nurses to come back. I asked which Doctor was on duty and they told me Dr. R (I wont give the full name). Without thinking I blurted out, “oh, Shit that is the only Dr. I did not like.”They started prepping machines and things and I finally laid on my side and they checked to see if I was dilated. To everyones surprise I was fully dilated and they quickly covered me up and wheeled me into a delivery room.

When we were on our tour there was only one room that was a model room and it was new with dark wood and modern furniture. So I said “ohhh am I getting the new room!” Since I was ready to go they said why not you deserve it. I rolled into the new bed and the Doctor came in. The nurses were all great and coached me and told me I was doing great. The Dr. turned out to be great and didn’t say anything to me at all. That is the way I like it. I am not going to get too graphic, but all I am going to say is that it didn’t hurt as much as I thought it would and that it just burned liked hell. After about 20 minutes of pushing my baby boy was born and on my chest and in my arms. Daddy cut the cord, but I had no idea. It is a weird feeling. I was obviously in the room, but felt like I was a million miles away. It was all a blur while I was pushing.

While I was holding my baby and waiting on the placenta I looked up and looked at one of the nurses and said, “I know you. Didn’t I go to middle school with you?” How weird and what are the odds of that happening??

They took Richard and cleaned him up a bit and did all the tests and when I got him back I tried feeding him and he latched on right away. He looked really funny because he had a big cone head, but he was beautiful with  a little bit of blonde hair and blue eyes.

Richard Hollis Simon

December 10, 2010

7 lbs 15 oz. / 21 inches

6:19 AM


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: